- 3 to 4 lbs. boneless beef country style ribs, chuck roast cut into chunks will work too.
- 2 large onions diced into about 1/2″ pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 12oz hearty Mexican beer
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 16 oz can beef consommé
- 2 16 oz jars of Santa Cruz red chile paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- Fish sauce to taste (Thai 3 crabs brand if available)
Brown meat in bacon fat in a large Dutch oven , do it in several batches.
After meat has been browned add two or three chopped onions and cook until semi caramelized. Add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and sweat briefly then add a bottle of “hefty” Mexican beer, a small can of tomato paste ,a can of beef consommé and 2 16oz, jars of Santa Cruz red chile paste, put the meat back in and stir.
toast a couple of teaspoons of cumin seed with 2 allspice berries and 2 cloves garlic in a dry skillet, also a teaspoon of Mexican oregano, be careful, it’s stronger than the Greek and a little goes a long way. Put everything in a spice grinder then add to the beef. You will have to experiment on the spices since I don’t really measure. I use fish sauce (Thai 3 crab’s brand) to taste to add saltiness. Simmer on the stove for 2 or 3 hours, you can also bake it in a covered Dutch oven. I don’t thicken it, it always seems to be about the right consistency.
It freezes well if you make a large batch. Good luck.