- 4 or 5 nice thick short ribs
- Brown all sides in a dutch oven use oil or bacon fat to brown them, then remove and set aside.
- Add the following to the dutch oven,then place short ribs on top and add enough liquid to almost cover the ribs, beef consommé or beer works great.I usually add some beef bouillon paste too instead of salt.
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- ¼ stick of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 6 allspice berries
- 2 slivers from a star anise
- 1tsp Mexican oregano
- Put all the above spices in a grinder and grind
- 6 hot red chile pods
- 10 mild red chile pods
- 6 cloves garlic
Remove seeds and stems from chiles.
Now place in a 300 degree oven for 3 or 4 hours.
Then remove short ribs,put everything else (chiles,spices and liquid) in a blender and blend,then pour into a strainer and push the puree through with a rubber spatula till all that is left is seeds and chile skins.discard.
I usually place the ribs in the fridge and let them get cold, this does something to the collagen and makes them easier to serve. When ready to serve place ribs back in the sauce and warm them up. If sauce needs thickening I add corn flour(ma se ca).